Broadly speaking, I’m T-shaped — I’m comfortable leading teams and managing people, diving into code (writing, reviewing, debugging, optimization, etc.), building infrastructure, working on engineering systems and culture, building software development lifecycle policy, structuring out knowledge management (ask me about why it’s key to healthy organizations!), and designing systems architectures. I’m a Git wizard, a comfortable and proficient technical writer, and I love to teach and mentor. I’m comfortable learning on the fly — I firmly believe that for most engineers, the things you already know aren’t important, but your curiosity and learning/knowing how to learn1 are what will determine your success.
If you’re a startup, I also bring experience in the business of startups — the team I led at Xamarin worked closely with finance, sales, and executive teams to devise and build new approaches to collating and understanding business data, and extract insights that correlated to how we built and shipped our software.
Director, Systems Architecture at First Republic Bank
From February 2019 to Present
- Led architecture efforts on enterprise-wide initiatives for API gateway and real-time data implementations with Apigee and Kafka
- Led a small architecture team working as horizontal solution architecture and API experts for a banking core replacement effort (10+ major workstreams, 50+ total projects)
- Led enterprise efforts on software quality and SDLC compliance, including devising new quality metrics based on engineering community health
- Built out developer guidance on application architecture/non-functional requirements, software patterns, system design, and API design.
- Worked with diverse teams across lines of business to help drive technology roadmaps, as well as identify opportunities for strategic alignment and reuse.
- Served as a subject matter expert on all aspects of software development: technology stack selection, framework/library evaluation, code review, etc.
- Worked with teams to help transition and structure new knowledge management facilities, including moving information from Sharepoint to Confluence, and establihing workflow guidelines for Jira
Principal Engineering Manager at CareStack
From October 2018 to December 2018
- Led a tribe of 17 engineers working on the front office portions of CareStack's dental practice management system
- Championed and implemented engineering systems and culture changes to improve throughput, output quality, and quality-of-life for developers
- Mentored engineers on the team, ranging from senior to very junior and organized team into multiple squads with product focus areas to further improve the way we worked
- Led a release that fixed dozens of bugs and resulted in dramatic stability and reliability improvements
- Short tenure resulted from a disagreement between the CEO and the entire senior engineering staff about best practices
Sr. Software Engineering Manager at Microsoft
From July 2016 to September 2018
- Planned and executed on transition of Xamarin services and teams into Microsoft as part of Microsoft's acquisition of Xamarin
- Moved to the Xamarin Workbooks team as part of winding down Xamarin infrastrucure and operations
- Drove Workbooks integration with Xamarin.Forms, including integration into the layout inspector and evaluation engine, as well as correct mapping of the native and Xamarin.Forms visual trees
- Led accessibility improvements to the desktop client and web editing surface, including new design and color elements
- Implemented an improved plugin/pipeline system that powered 3rd party integrations with Workbooks
- Built a WebAssembly evaluation environment for Xamarin Workbooks that leveraged a horizontally scalable server-side for compilation, while remoting execution into a WebAssembly-hosted Mono VM
- Worked closely with relese engineering/management teams to maintain and improve engineering/build systems that powered day-to-day work and release efforts
Technologies: Xamarin, .NET, Cocoa/AppKit, Android, TypeScript, WASM, Azure DevOps
Engineering Manager/Operations Lead at Xamarin
From February 2012 to July 2016
- Led the team responsible for most of Xamarin's customer-facing infrastructure (Xamarin Store, Component Store, Single Sign-On, Licensing)
- Scaled and optimized infrastructure, serving a few billion API calls per month on minimal hardware
- Devised a novel approach to licensing infrastructure from both the server and client side, resulting in more robust client licensing, and greatly improved performance, reliability, and debuggability of the infrastructure itself
- Developed and maintained processes to improve efficiency of sales and support process.
- Worked closely with finance and executive teams on business intelligence, fundraising, and general operations understanding. Devised new spins and presentations of data, and correlated it to product decisions and output.
- Built the Xamarin component store and worked on its integration into the Xamarin Studio IDE, as well as contributing general fixes to the IDE
Software Developer/Consultant at Cane Systems
From August 2010 to February 2012
- Worked as an on and off-site consultant in the telecommunications industry, focusing on operations support systems (OSS) and other network/physical plant management projects
- Developed a new system for tracking fixed assets and points of presence, including rich mapping and navigation capabilities built in
- Built solutions to collect and manage hardware inventory and hardware status from native systems that did not integrate into centralized OSS
Technologies: Java, PostgreSQL, Oracle DB, Cisco/Juniper
Software Developer at Air Power Analytics
From February 2009 to February 2012
- Rewrote a sensor metrics collection platform from the ground up, delivering multiple order of magnitude improvements in polling and memory efficiency
- Built infrastructure to securely deliver collected data back to central server from each on-site location, and pre-process it for ETL
- Built two front-ends, a "live" frontend that could run on any computer on the same network as the collection platform and view live data, and a reporting frontend that worked off ETLed data
- Evaluated and identified hardware with suitable characteristics for metrics collection platform that was suitable for use in industrial plants
Technologies: Java, C#, ActionScript/Flash, PHP, Oracle, Serial Protocols
“Many have marked the speed with which Muad’Dib learned the necessities of Arrakis. The Bene Gesserit, of course, know the basis of this speed. For the others, we can say that Muad’Dib learned rapidly because his first training was in how to learn. And the first lesson of all was the basic trust that he could learn. It is shocking to find how many people do not believe they can learn, and how many more believe learning to be difficult.” - Frank Herbert ↩